Sunday, May 16, 2010

O Bread Of Heaven

( My favourite hymn) -

"O Bread of Heaven, beneath this veil
Thou dost my very God conceal:
My Jesus, dearest treasure, hail!
I love Thee and, adoring, kneel;
Each loving soul by Thee is fed
With Thine own Self
in form of Bread.

O food of life,
Thou Who dost give
The pledge of immortality;
I live, no ‘tis not I that live;
God gives me life, God lives in me:
He feeds my soul, He guides my ways,
And every grief with joy repays.

O Bond of love that dost unite
The servant to his living Lord ;
Could I dare live and not requite
Such love - then death were meet reward:
I cannot live unless to prove
Some love for such unmeasured love.

My dearest God! Who dost so bind
My heart with countless claims to Thee!
O Sweetest love, my soul shall find
In Thy dear bonds true liberty.
Thyself Thou hast bestowed on me;
Thine, Thine for ever I will be.

O Mighty Fire, Thou that dost burn
To kindle every mind and heart!
For Thee my frozen soul doth yearn;
Come, Lord of love, Thy warmth impart;
If thus to speak too bold appear,‘
Tis love like Thine has banished fear.

O Sweetest dart of love Divine!
If I have sinned, then vengeance take;
Come pierce this guilty heart of mine,
And let it die for His dear sake
Who once expired on Calvary,
His heart pierced through for love of me.


Beloved Lord, in Heaven above
There, Jesus, Thou awaitest me,
To gaze on Thee with endless love;
Yes, thus I hope, thus shall it be:
For how can He deny me Heaven,
Who here on earth Himself hath given?"

St. Alphonsus Liguori. For what my opinion's worth, this is the very zenith of Catholic mysticism.

St. Alphonsus Liguori, pray for us.
St. Gerard Majella, pray for us.
St. Therese of Lisieux, pray for us.
St. Bernadette Soubirous, pray for us.
St. Maria Goretti, pray for us.
St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us.
St. John The Baptist, pray for us.
St. John The Evangelist, pray for us.
St. Martin of Tours, pray for us.
St. Martin de Porres, pray for us.
St. Edward the Confessor, pray for us.
St. Catherine of Siena, pray for us.
St. Thomas More, pray for us.
St. Francis de Sales, pray for us.
St. Ignatius Loyola, pray for us.
St. Aloysius Gonzaga, pray for us.
St. Francis Xavier, pray for us.
St. John Bosco, pray for us.
St. Dominic Savio, pray for us.
St. Maximilian Kolbe, pray for us.
St. Francis of Assisi, pray for us.
St. Josemaria Escriva, pray for us.
St. John Ogilvie, pray for us.
St. Columbkille, pray for us.
St. Andrew, pray for us.
St. Kentigern, pray for us.
St. Patrick, pray for us.
St. Joseph, pray for us.
St. Peter and St. Paul, pray for us.
Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.
Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, pray for us.

Amen.

(Update, 17th May 2010 - thanks be to God, His angels and His saints for prayers answered)

3 Comments:

Blogger Catholic Teuchtar said...

thats something we can agree on the. Soul of My Saviour and Bread of Heaven for me. Can't split them.

16 May, 2010 15:07  
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks for that, CT.

Do please drop me an e-mail. I have a matter to discuss with ypu, one which I can most certainly assure you crosses any ideological divide that might separate us. Your help would be most gratefully received.

18 May, 2010 01:04  
Blogger Catholic Teuchtar said...

mail duly sent.

19 May, 2010 15:01  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home