Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A Gentle Sigh Of Relief (For The Moment)

The sweetest words I've read in a long time must be 'Margo MacDonald's End of Life Assistance Bill rejected'.
Te Deum Laudamus!
This is the most positive move that the Scottish Parliament has ever made, denying MacDonald the right to increase the chances of the sick and weak being exposed to the risk of medical murder in order, in my opinion, to spare her husband, a totem cum sachem of Scottish civic nationalism, the indignity of being tried for her murder. While one must try to be charitable towards her, and charity is a quality I'm afraid I often lack, as a disabled person, one who would almost certainly have been put at risk by her law at some point, it is difficult to see her effort as having been one founded in anything other than almost monstrous conceit. I am sorry for her personally, whatever I might have written before now - in mitigation, it was written probably out of fear and a powerful sense of helplessness, itself a commentary on the Scottish Parliament's perceived competence - but I am glad she has lost, and I will always be glad if she always loses every round of this battle.
She's been reported as saying that if she's re-elected, she'll be back for another go. As those who love life, we should do everything we can to oppose her. This law obviously means so much to her that she's going to run again for Parliament in her '70's, while suffering from Parkinson's. Her commitment to this law is obviously deep. Our commitment to opposing her should be equally deep.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Douglas said...

I still dont see how her Bill could have caused you harm.

Its a pity to believed the scaremongering of Inclusion Scotland. Did you fear being gassed to death like CNK said you would?

BTW - your options for leaving comments is very limiting.

www.douglasmclellan.net

05 December, 2010 13:13  
Blogger Martin said...

Why should you fail to see how this Bill could cause me harm, when all you know of me is what I choose to tell you?

I do not fear being gassed, but the rather more sly option of the needle in the arm.

And my apologies if my comment options fail to meet with your approval, but it's my blog, and you're under no obligation to read it, let alone comment upon it.

05 December, 2010 23:19  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I still dont see how her Bill could have caused you harm.

I suspect this merely shows a lack of imagination. Margo's view was that she should be allowed to shuffle of this mortal coil by having a Scpts physician finish her off with a lethal injection, thus breaking a solemn vow (the Hippocratic Oath).

Martin's point, I think, is that, such a crossing of the Rubicon would mean that it would become thus easier to finish of the vulnerable (like Martin) through the same means without their consent as has become common practice in The Netherlands

12 December, 2010 01:20  
Blogger Martin said...

And you are, of course, correct, Paulinus, in your assessment of why Big Margs gave me the willies.

13 December, 2010 22:27  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home